Monday, February 13, 2012

Bye-Bye 9 Pounds!

Sunday was the first weigh in at Northwood Church.  I weighed again in front of the whole church to see how much I lost during our first week of competition.  It was really nerve-racking not knowing until that moment during first service.  All of 'Team Graves' did great!  I lost 9 pounds in one week!!!  I was thinking 7 or 8, so 9 was a nice surprise.  I lost nearly 2 bags of flour!  Next time you're in the grocery store look at a bag of flour and think about me.  Two bags of flour in pounds, gross!!  Bye-Bye...good riddance!!!

One of my favorite things about doing this is that it's really just real life.  I'm eating great food that I'm preparing, I haven't quite my job, I still have obligations and I still have 'real life' that gets in the way.  BUT...I still lost 9 pounds in one week.  You see, I used to tell myself that I couldn't work out everyday because I had to let my muscles rest.  I have NO idea where I heard that, but I took it as truth for a LONG time.  Then I got inspired.  Toward the end of last season of Biggest Loser they did a 'day in the life of' type segment on Sunny after she returned home.  It showed her doing boot camp in the morning before work then going home and doing more in the evening with a trainer.  Something clicked inside me.  She's an educator; she's from DFW; she can do it-so can I.  I was inspired by her to get started but the real strength to get it done has come from God.

Last year I worked-out with Laurie Graves and did a bible study and fitness program with her thru Northwood Church.  I loved the study and enjoyed the workout.  The problem was, I wasn't in God's word and most importantly I wasn't ready to let go of 'me' in the equation of weight-loss.  I was so sore from working out that I had to use a table or chair to brace myself when I got in or out of a chair.  Getting out of our platform bed was a painful nightmare.
I used to think:
-isn't it great what I can do
-look at me, I've lost 3 pounds
-I'm so strong, look what I can do
Everything was focused on what I could do.  I have now come to realize how little I can really do on my own.  I must have God by my side guiding my steps and telling me what to do.  I must realize that it is God's strength inside of me that allows me to do this.  It is God's strength inside of me that allows me to not be very sore even after 2 work-outs per day.  It's God's strength inside of me that helps me stand in the kitchen for 2 hours straight on Sunday night prepping food for the week.  It's God's strength inside me that pushes me to finish running around the volleyball court in 34 degree weather while pulling a 50 pound punching bag!  God's strength is amazing!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. God's strength is amazing and I too need to depend on Him and not go about life in my own strength. Your doing it! I'm so proud of you, I always saw such an encourager in you and I see now that God is using that to change not just you and Kurt but a whole church. I love it when the body uses their gifts for the glory of God!

    ReplyDelete